View Single Post
      02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Moving the gear selector to the left affects the transmission. I've only driven an auto in our X3, so I don't know about Sport+ mode, but in our X3, it works like this:

D - means the gear selector is in drive
D/S - means the gear selector is to the left in drive sport

Comfort D: Car shifts normally
Comfort D/S: Car holds gears until 4-5k RPM and downshifts aggressively
Sport D: Car holds gears until 3-4k RPM and downshifts more than Comfort D, but not as aggressive as D/S; throttle response is sharpened
Sport D/S: Car holds gears until almost redline and downshifts very aggressively; throttle response is same as Sport D

So, as you can see, it's a bit of a combination effect. The movement of the gear selector between D and D/S only affects the transmission shift points though. It doesn't change the rest of the car.

I find D/S is most useful for those instances where you need a more aggressive shift program for a brief moment. If I'm pulling out of a parking lot, and traffic is bad, I want the car to hold shifts so that I can maneuver adequately for conditions. I don't want to wait on downshifts. I just slap the gear selector over ot D/S, and go for it. If I'm going out for a spirited drive, I'll change the mode selector to Sport.

Interestingly, I find the shift program in Sport to be tolerable around town, but moving the gear selector to D/S is something I will only do if I'm really out to drive for fun. Sport seems really well balanced for sporty, but not insane driving, then the flip to Sport & D/S really lights things up.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0