View Single Post
      10-31-2017, 09:12 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post

FYI i have a JB4 and it compounded the issues with the MAF plugged in. Unplugging the MAF was the only way the car acted somewhat normal with the Injen. I think it's funny that they sell a product that doesn't work properly on a stock car (never mind the fitment with one of the stock electrical covers is poor).

Maybe you guys you update your sites for the Injen to include this in the description (1. Mass-air-flow CEL included, 2. MAF must be unplugged for consistent low/mid rpm power, and a JB4 is required).

But FYI a JB4 is not required to unplug your MAF. The car knows what to do when it's unplugged, it just uses the wide-band O2 sensors, the JB4 has nothing to do with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
I'll add a little bit of info on this topic as well. Attached is a link to an Injen intake I sold a few months ago. Short version of the story - bought the intake and installed it, got the CRL, read the related forum posts, called and talked to Injen, they said they were not aware of the problem, said they'd work on a fix, have not heard back from them yet. Took it off and sold it with full explanation of the problem.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416705
Both of your responses are greatly appreciated.

We can put a million disclaimers in our descriptions, frankly less then a few % read them or the terms on a website. Also for us specifically, we never hear that much negative feedback and unless the manufacturer tells us there is a significant change or disclaimer needed, we normally won't blindly do it. For us, problematic products get removed. Also a disclaimer would deter sales to potential people that may not have issues and people would seek out the injen intake that didn't have the disclaimer so they can blame that seller because it didn't say anything. It's a crazy world we live in. It's always about finding the happy medium.

But I hear what you're saying and I said before this is all part of the mod game. However the consumer needs to take some responsibility to know that if you're modifying a vehicle, you should have the proper knowledge & understanding of what you're doing. There are also examples where things are just understood for specific modifications. Almost every catless downpipe available in these BMW platforms would cause a CEL but there are no descriptions saying as such, it's understood and assumed by the majority and therefore not mentioned. There are of course people who didn't know that and bought it but it sounds like they are buying something they didn't do research on or understood how it works. By no accident, proper tunes get rid of that CEL.

For example, when I put an intake on my vette, it's a MAF car. I knew right away putting the right intake was crucial on the car. I already read up that the wrong intake would cause stumbling, poor idle, ETC.

So I did some more research and found the best intake that had the least amount of issues.

Putting an aftermarket intake on a MAF car almost always will require tuning. JB4 does not do a good job of tuning the MAF which is why it only helps some. It needs a real custom tune. Any other platform with MAF whether it be for a Mustang or WRX or BRZ or corvette will require MAF tuning (unless otherwise stated by the intake company). It should be expected but then again everyone is not a car wizard, that's where research comes into play. A flash tune would take care of any intake with the right tuner behind it.

If it's a question of producing an intake that can work on a stock car 100% I believe Dinan is the only 1 and maybe AWE (have to double check).

Anyway, great feedback guys.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-31-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0