01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #41
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
I keep hearing no M2, then definitely M2.

Scott, our insider, came out with a post guaranteeing an M2 is in the works. I can't imagine that BMW would forgo the massive success of the 1er M coupe - they could monetize the brand equity in that car for a longer production run on the new model variant.

My suspicion is that you and many others on the forum are serving the 2 marketing strategy well - as long as they aren't testing a quad piped fender flared 2 coupe on the ring in camo, you'll believe there is no M2 coming and buy a lesser 235 M for almost the same price (just like what happened with the 135is vs. the 1er M coupe). I'm sure the M gmbh finance folks appreciate the recovery of R&D out of the 235 M for a year or two until word hits on the imminent arrival of the superior (and more bang for the buck) M2.

Could be wrong, but doesn't the approach make sense? if BMW said you can either buy a 235 M for $44k and option it with standard M features (like LSD) for another $5k or wait two years and buy a base M2 for $49k, what would happen to the sales figures on the 235? As long as you say there is no M2 in order to sell 24 months of higher margin 235 Ms, BMW can use the platform to make a killing on a cult-like following of the 1er M coupe and bank some solid capex recoupment in the process.
Here is the quote I referenced from Scott - not sure why there is a lack of belief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I have seen some early preliminary sketches although not respondent of what the car will look like but the creativity behind the visual aspects is underway.
Engineering has already commenced.

But I must repeat there will be an M2 but it is not coming tomorrow.
For now this is the M235i's moment. The gap in both cars between will allow appetites to be whet and new ideas to be conceived and thoroughly evaluated.

The gap will also allow the new M3 and M4 breathing space.
Appreciate 0