03-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
miko_10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The 1er Sedan will be based upon the BMW compact series matrix shared with the MINI. It is not based on the F20. 2er Gran Coupe will be based on the imminent BMW 2er.

The idea follows the larger car matrix which is modular that existing concepts can be spun off using a central piece which can then be lengthened or shortened with added modular parts to accommodate each vehicle.
If the end goal for BMW is to let consumers customize all car dimensions then I'm all for it. In my eyes they just seem to be in flux with the whole naming and numbering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I have to disagree. I find BMWs naming system extremely intuitive. And now that they're breaking off the coupes into the 2 and 4 series, the whole range follows the same conventions. BMW has the most predictability in their nomenclature of any manufacturer, and once the rest of the known Fxx products in the pipeline arrive, they'll have the most complete model lineup as well.
I'll agree to disagree, how can you just redefine what is considered a coupe and a sedan in the same line up. To me a coupe will always be 2 doors and a sedan will always be 4 doors. Calling a 4 door sedan a 2 door grand coupe just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It just makes it harder to figure out what to call the next car that I want to purchase.
Appreciate 0