03-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Did you ask them? and how do you know if it's not true? I didn't say every dealership would do it. If you think about it logically, when they take in a trade, they usually auction it to get their money back. Wouldn't it be easier for them to sell it to carmax if they already have the offer in hand?
No, I didn't ask them specifically if they would honor the CarMax offer, but what you said makes sense ... they might be willing to honor it if they see that they can sell it to CarMax for that much. Didn't think about that ! I still see those greedy SOBs trying to make a hefty profit out of it, though.

Quote:
How do I know it's true? I've done it before and helped a couple of friends get better trade values via carmax offer to dealership. It could be a regional thing they do down here in Texas.
Ok.

Quote:
When I negotiated on the trade of my last vehicle, dealership offered me nearly $3k more than Carmax. There are some cases where carmax might offer more and sometimes less. I think it ultimately boils down to the appraiser and what they think your vehicle is worth.
I agree with this ... it does come down to the appraiser. They even told me that sometimes they offer more than dealers and sometimes less. But, in my experience, dealerships are the greediest sellers and buyers out there, and if you're not willing to negotiate (which I'm not), then you will always lose at the hands of a dealership.

So, I guess, for people like me, who hate negotiating, CarMax will always be the better option than going to a dealership. Dealerships are like my Cigna health insurance ... they always respond with "No".