View Single Post
      04-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Whiskeymike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235 Cabrio;MB E350

Garage List
Fascinating article, especially for me as I own ( or have owned) 3 of the cars on the list as well as the one (Miata) that belongs there. I agree the model changeover was likely why it was omitted.
Observations:
The Miata was great; handled like a slot car and you could do everything at 9/10ths and no one would know! It should (IMO) be in the top 5 on the list.Unfortunately, I always felt nervous on the Interstate part of any trip;even Accords looked huge next to me! Obviously, power was modest, but everything else was great.
Next, the SLK 230 Kompressor(5MT): coming off the Miata, this was a big change from great handling to ......a car.With the top up, I could pack for a trip for the 2 of us, drive Interstates ( as well as back roads ) and feel fine. Then, at destination, unload and drop the top. It served well, even if no adrenaline rush.
The..911 Cabrio (6MT). No compromises at all. Spent the first few months driving on interesting roads every chance I could get or dream up. Fantastic car--Knowing about rear-engine cars ( used to have a Corvair), I eased up towards the limits. Finally reached my threshold and never came close to the car's. Can't say enough good about it, even after having it for 13 years.Nothing...repeat nothing sounds like that flat 6 winding up.
Reality set in: my wife has some minor issues which are slowly getting worse and make the Porsche uncomfortable to go on long road trips which we do 3 or 4 times a year with others. And..I have arthritis in my left knee which kept me from driving it for 6 months last year. It's not cured ( only cure is replacement), but for the moment under control. So, reluctantly, we traded last month for:

2015 M235 Cabrio (F23) with 8AT. Still in the "break-in" period so have only tweaked its nose a bit. same with handling: few twisties here and there.
Early opinion is that I'll probably get at least 90% of the fun I got in the 911 in a much more comfortable ride. My wife used to have a 325 sportwagen so she was comfortable right away. I told her to leave the switch in " Comfort" and all would be well!
We got all the goodies (tech;cold weather;premium;driver assist) which we've become used to in our "regular" cars and which, frankly, we missed in the Porsche when traveling.
We have a long road trip in a couple of weeks which she is looking forward to, and I must admit, I am as well. We always do as much as possible on back roads, so manage some "boy racer" time.
This is actually my 7th BMW; the first was a 1985 535 (5MT) E28. I used to say that the car thought it was a 4-door Porsche.A total blast and I kept it for 5 years and +/- 90k.
The M235 weighs almost 500 pounds more and will run rings around the old one; I hope it is as much fun long term as the old "boxy" car was.
Appreciate 1