View Single Post
      03-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #27
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

2 in less than a week. I know BMW is trying to push their M performance line as a viable middle ground between vanilla series and M series, but I never thought they'd try to doll up the M performance cars as race ready. They aren't. They're a good middle ground between not enough and too much. They have a place, just not on a track. I don't see Audi offering S line cars in racing trim; and they shouldn't.

Frankly, a track version of the 2 should not have been released unless it was built on the M2 platform. Just like the e92 M3 GT4 wasn't released until a year or two after the e9x M3 platform went into production. There was a logical progression (M3, M3 GTS, M3 GT4) that gave M engineers the feedback they needed to build a race ready car.

From BMW's own M3 GT4 page-

Quote:
The concept behind the GT4 category, for which the BMW M3 GT4 was developed by BMW Motorsport, is a simple one: The racing cars should have as much as possible in common with production cars, with only minor modifications allowed. Against this background, the production model of the BMW M3 has proven to be godsend for the engineers.
Note, they didn't say the M sport 320, M sport 328, M sport 335...
Appreciate 0