United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Tesla may have hired some great software people and tech people, but they still rely on companies like Nvidia, MobileEye, Velodyne LiDAR. Tesla no more makes all the autonomous components much like Apple doesn't make all the hardware in an iPhone.

The standards are all the same ISO-26262 and ASIL A-D.
How you get there may be varied and different but NXP, Nvidia, Velodyne along with other companies are going to supply most of the the hardware and Tesla along with the others will put a software layer on top.

Nvidia makes the processor core that Tesla is using. -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-and-nvidia.html

I have worked on processor elements for ASIL-D and previously fault tolerant computers.

BTW - I would love to have a Plug-In X1 Hybrid.
Tesla dumped Mobile Eye and started hiring all the AI engineers they can get to build their own algorithms and silicon. Also Nvidia built a custom PX chip for Tesla, so no they are not using off the shelf tech. Apple designs its own mobile chips, which is why the iPad and iPhones have the best specs in all the benchmarks. You need that vertical integration to stay ahead.

Also there is a reason Ford fired their Harvard MBA CEO Mark Fields and replaced him with a technologist who was previously heading their technology division...
Appreciate 0