View Single Post
      11-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Oil service interval stretching in a magic way?

Hi Guys;

A strange thing is going on with my M235i's on-board computer; let me describe it using mileage round numbers as examples only for the clarity.

When I was doing my last oil service at my BMW dealer, I had say 40,000km on the odometer. Decoding my VIN clearly shows:

8KA OELSERVICE INT. 30.000 KM/24 MONTHS

I have covered some 10,000 km since the oil replacement, yet the car keeps saying that the next oil service is after 29,000 km or 24 months from the date of the last one. BTW, it changed from 30,000 to 29,000 only recently - the nice round 30,000 km was displayed for several months so I was already 100% something is broken, but then it went down to the 29,000 km it displays now...

So I talked to my SA, and he tried to get rid of me by saying things like:

- even with the 30,000 km interval as per the 8KA entry in my VIN, the system is programmed in such a way that the actual interval is allowed to increase to the maximum of 36,000 km - and this usually happens when the engine is used in close-to-ideal conditions (no city stop&go driving; only long-lasting trips on long distances, etc. While it so happens my car is indeed used in this way (for short, cold engine trips to the shop around the corner I take another car) - all this theory is BS, because:

1. Even if the software and hardware (various sensors, etc.) were so very clever, my oil service interval has already increased past the 36,000 km my SA is talking about

2. Even though my engine indeed works in ideal temperature conditions 99.99% of the time, it's being loaded much harder and more often than average - I'm an enthusiastic driver so WOT at acceleration as well as autobahn speeds of well over 200 km/h is my bread and butter

What are your thoughts on this, guys? Of course, the SA claims they did reset the interval sensor and other stuff correctly at the last service; also I've not started complaining too strongly yet as - even with the "correct" interval of 30,000 km - I don't cover distances high enough to warrant on-per-year oil replacement as a part of my "free" BMW Service Plan (so I get oil changed every other year my BMW, and every other one - by my independent service shop). But what I described doesn't look right to me, so I'd like to have it straightened up by BMW. What arguments should I be using to make them treat the matter more seriously?

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0