Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077
Just like I said the manual is selling less than auto or dct, but dct is manual anyway isn't it? Just doesn't have a stick, and that article is almost 2 years old, no doubt they will offer stick and dct option, but not just a stick as there will be more demand for dct and they can charge a lot more for the car with that fitted
This tells me you've never driven a car with a manual transmission.

DCT is an automatic transmission. A wonderful one...but any automatic intermediates the driver from the car. It changes gears (though you may still select gears) for you, making many, small calculations that would otherwise be made by the driver. The additional calculus, the inputs into those decisions, etc. are what make manual transmissions more engaging to some drivers (myself included).
I would describe a DCT as a transmission that can shift automatically or can be manually shifted with significantly more engine control than the ZF 8 speed automatic. The greatest difference for me is what enables the engine to drive the driveshaft, double clutch or a torque converter. A torque converter based automatic is what I have issue with, not whether a transmission can shift automatically or not. I'm not saying that a manual does not provide more control. I just prefer the quicker technology.

I had a somewhat crude and brutal, but amazing at the limit SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) in an E60 M5.

A previous post said DCT does not have a stick. It does not have a clutch pedal, but it does have a gear selector that allows you to skip gears if you choose.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0