Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077
Just like I said the manual is selling less than auto or dct, but dct is manual anyway isn't it? Just doesn't have a stick, and that article is almost 2 years old, no doubt they will offer stick and dct option, but not just a stick as there will be more demand for dct and they can charge a lot more for the car with that fitted
This tells me you've never driven a car with a manual transmission.

DCT is an automatic transmission. A wonderful one...but any automatic intermediates the driver from the car. It changes gears (though you may still select gears) for you, making many, small calculations that would otherwise be made by the driver. The additional calculus, the inputs into those decisions, etc. are what make manual transmissions more engaging to some drivers (myself included).
Pretty sure He's in the UK so will most definitely be very experienced with a 6MT! The comment about DCT being manual us of course also technically true but it acts as an automatic in reality. I use mine in manual nude 80% time.

Both are great options and M2 will certainly have both transmissions as options. At £2800 on the M4 though it adds a lot to the M2 price if the same cost.
DCT is a fantastic piece of technology, but it is no technical sense a manual transmission. The ability to instruct the car to change gears is <> to changing gears yourself.

A manual gearbox is about more than selecting gears, it's also the critical ballet that occurs between clutch, gas, and brake pedal. A manual box makes the driver a critical member of the drivetrain between the diff and the engine... it's a level of engagement and stress (good stress) that does not exist with a ZF8 or DCT.

Again- there are a lot of great reasons to go for an automatic (speed, traffic, etc.), but driver engagement (which, for me, translates to added fun) is not one of them.
Appreciate 0