View Single Post
      05-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Actually interesting - what we need are two graphs - one for an engine on a dyno for auto & manual showing power / torque and another comparing acceleration to maximum for auto & manual.

Wonder if any magazines produced the charts - particularly European mags.
That would be quite interesting!!!

I tried to find dyno charts to compare the curves for the manual and auto, but there are little few charts out there, and either of them specify the gearbox...I just found 1 or 2 that said they were auto's!

But you can see on the charts for the auto that torque falls "harder" after 5.000rpm, which is whereabouts the revs drop to on upshifts under hard acceleration. The manual makes the revs fall under that if you upshift on the same revs as on the auto, so maybe that's a reason, or the reason why it can make up for the lost time to 60mph when going 0-1000m. It would definitely help knowing the speed at which both would cross the 1000m mark.

I'm not trying to prove the manual is better than the auto, just exercising the mind and trying to see where the manual scores better, cause neither box is perfect, both have their own pros and cons!
Appreciate 0