View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #139
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

I kind of suspect -expect to a degree- that BMW has tested all of this quite extensively already.

If you look at the messages that came from BMW lately, the products and tech they've released, and what they're teasing us with, all signs point to M cars going electric in some way or another.
ICE engines to be phased out in a decade? Carbon fibre being used extensively in construction? 600Bhp limit (take note, they never specified if this figure is for engines only, or combined power output)? Talk of M cars going 4WD?

Now, if looking at all of those things, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next M5 and M6 come out with a turboed I6 complimented by electric drive for a combined output in the 650 to 700Bhp region, the next M3/ M4 sporting an I4, also with electric drive for a combined 450 to 500Bhp, and the next 1M/ M2 perhaps going I3?
If all of them have electric drive going to at least 2 wheels (the rears in the 1M's case at least and maybe the M2, with everything else sending electric to the fronts), that's probably the only next logical step, if they weren't playing a massive prank on all of us with their plans to phase out ICE completely.
Yes, electric drive will mean more weight, but it will likely also mean CF used liberally in all next generations.

I have to add as well, I think the above -if it turns out to be anywhere near accurate- will only apply to single generations. After that? Who knows, hydrogen fuel cells everywhere?

Whatever the case might be, now would be a good time to open up your M car's bonnet (if you have one) and give that engine a big hug. They're going bye-bye.
Appreciate 0