View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #135
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I would simply alter the stroke of the current cylinder formula to achieve the 4L configuration. It would be an M-bespoke solution.
That's a good idea, but it's actually not a viable solution with the current engine architecture and its 91mm bore center. You would have a ridiculously long stroke not practical for a production engine. This is the reason why there has not been a BMW I6 with more than 3.2L of displacement since they retired the big bore "Senior Six" engine over twenty years ago.

Furthermore, it is no longer possible to justify altering displacement from 0.5L per cylinder anymore with turbocharging now a standard engine feature. Forced induction essentially changes effective engine displacement by putting more air molecules in the same physical space. This is why we are seeing many manufacturers moving toward 2.0L, 3.0L, and 4.0L engines with half liter cylinders.

Quote:
I agree on the end game. Sadly, I think that sporting V8, V10, and V12 engines will only be available in ultra-high end vehicles when all is said and done.
Yep.
Appreciate 1