03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #182
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I just don't see a 2er GC coming from BMW, at all. And the lack of test mules just confirms my suspicions.

The main problem is the size of a (potential) 2er GC. BMW will have to charge $45K USD for a car that is no bigger (smaller?) than an E46. That may have worked 10 years ago, but people in the US want a larger car than that.

I guess MB is trying to fill that hole via the CLA250. I'm sure BMWAG is watching the sales of that particular model very closely.
The first 2 series test mule was spied in 11-29-2012 and the official reveal was 10-25-2013 so basically after one year the first spy shot was taken. A 2015 release for the 2 series gran coupe would be early enough (I would say first half of 2016 would be ok too), so there is the rest of 2014 left to let some test mules free.

I'll not comment your statement about price and need for this car.

Since the compact cars segment is growing worldwide, no one can tell me there's no need for a 2 series gran coupe, the competition is ahead in this "niche". BMW would be just ignorant and to focused on the 3 series margin if they don't see that.

There was lot of news about a 2 series gran coupe and M2 GC in the making. I guess not all of them were from Scott.
Appreciate 0