View Single Post
      04-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #64
math4scher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 MINI Cooper S 4 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Also don't be afraid to shop around within a day's drive and call as many places as you can. It's always easier when you have something in hand to negotiate with. Get the best deal, then call around places closer to home and say "I want this car with these options. You need to beat this price. Best deal I get by end of day today gets my business."
I just returned from a dealership so very frustrated. I had in hand a TrueCar Savings Certificate for $1075 from that dealership. Firstly I'm told thatz the car is too new and there are no discounts (he even knew that TrueCar is what brought me there). When he saw that I was not happy he said "what about $300" off (pause) or $500 off (pause) or "what would it take for you to buy the car" - and I refuse to play that game. Then I showed him the certificate and he went to talk to his sales manager and shortly returned with an offer of $500 off MSRP. I said something like " this is crazy - this is a certificate from your own dealership and you can't/won't even honor it.

So he gets another sense that I'm not happy and says I'll go talk to the sales manager again. He shortly returns with a new offer of $1000 off the MSRP. By now I'm so fed up with these games that I don't know if any amount off the MSRP would have made me happy - because I was not happy with how I was treated. Moreover, he pressured me several times in several ways to create the order right now...even though I constantly told him that I need to go home and discuss this with my wife who manages the money. I was so turned off by the experience there, like I alluded to before I don't think anything they could do for me now would matter - I would buy there just based on principles.

The suggestion above is awesome - I will just have to try it!

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to reply to my inquiry - your insights/suggestions/thoughts are always right on/very helpful!

P.S. Everyone on this forum is so very helpful - thanks!
Appreciate 0