11-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Burgundy View Post
The logical choice to me would be a 5-Cylinder version of the S55? This goes with the modular idea and economies of scale they want to make a good profit.

Didn't they pretty much do this with the last M3 and M5? I am not an engineer but on the basics of just "cutting off a cylinder" and doing the math would put the horsepower figure right around 360 hp where it is expected?

I think if you threw the S55 in the M2 you are going to cannibalize M4 buyers, even if it is detuned.
I say that's not true for most of the potential M3/M4 buyers, they do not want such a small car, they want the prestige, the M4 is the most important M car like the normal 3 series is the most important AG car for BMW, they want the full power of the S55 and so on. Yeah for sure there will be some buyers which go for the M2 instead of the M4 but I'm sure that's just a small group.

I like the M3/4 but the size and price for this is ridiculous in my eyes and I really want a small powerful sedan(/gran coupe) from BMW M which only the M2GC could be. I'm defintely don't buy a M2 with only a 4cyl., the other stuff from the car could be really good, I wouldn't care.
4cyl. = NoGo! This is the last chance to get a small M car with a I6 from BMW in my eyes, so don't fuck it up and give us that. The 1M was very good but very limited (and had only 2 doors ).

It's not that easy like just cut off 1 cylinder and a 5cyl. wouldn't be much better as a 4cyl. since it hasn't the typical I6 smoothness, sound and belongs to Audi.
Appreciate 0