Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
+1.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, serious but I strongly disagree. A base 128i here in Canada is already $36,000. Add in the premium package at the least and it prices over $42k (not including costs/taxes). We won't even discuss a 135. $42k for a 1-Series. You could get a base 320/323/328, a "real" BMW with that kind of money.

Your statement is categorizing what BMW should be, not what it is. If anything the 1-Series is becoming, if not already, the car BMW has always been known for - sporty and compact that has that raw driving feel (see: 1M), not like the other BMW models that are getting more and more computer-influenced each generation. I don't know how it is there but people who drive a 1-Series here are labelled many things but not being able to afford a "real" BMW isn't one of them.
Everyone knows the 323/328i auto is the poser car anyways. The lease rates are so low.

If you think about it, why would a 1-series be for people who can't afford a 3-series? The 3-series is only slightly more and offers wayyy more practicality and higher "status". It's much more wise to purchase a 3-series in an economic sense.

If anything, the 1-series is for people who like the design (a minority) and are willing to pay for it.