View Single Post
      11-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #21
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Package

Time for another update! As anyone viewing other threads on here may have spotted, I had a couple of unfortunate issues with the car over the last week and a half or so. I managed to end up with a nasty stone chip in the main roof panel on the car that went right back to bare metal (no idea how mind you), and also, a nice car parking/trolley dent in my passenger door! Wonderful!
Of course this upset my car OCD something fierce, so I set about repairing these issues! (See original thread here - http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058972)

I was pretty much able to resolve things to a standard I'm happy with. I ended up repairing the chip myself with touch up paint and touch up clear coat, before polishing the whole lot back in to match the rest of the paintwork. It took a couple of attempts, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Before:

After (At a glance):

After (Close up):

Frankly, I don't have a camera powerful enough to actually make out the chip well enough - auto focus certainly seems to struggle to find it! Ultimately though, I'm pretty happy. To the untrained eye, it's near enough invisible. Only someone with a keen detailing eye would be able to catch it I reckon.

Furthermore, with regard to the dent I'd managed to pick up in my passenger door - I took it over to a place near me that I'd heard great things about before one evening after work, called Dent Rewind.
In less than an hour, they had the dent fully removed - good as new. I'd always been sceptical about PDR (Paintless dent removal), but to say I'm converted would be an understatement. The engineer was forced to use the Glue Pulling method as he couldn't get far enough inside the panel to push it out, but the finish is spectacular. He even gave the whole panel a proper machine polish for me, all for an incredibly reasonable price!
For anyone UK based, I would highly recommend their services - http://www.dentrewind.co.uk

Through all of this however, I've ended up tempted by something that was originally another solution - wrapping the roof. Personally, I think the roof would look fantastic in black, but I'm a little nervous about doing it as I've never had a panel wrapped before.
Suppose I'm concerned about potential later issues when trying to remove the wrap, or potential damage to the paintwork when the wrap is applied.

Any comments from anyone who's had a wrap done?

Last edited by lazyrhino; 02-19-2017 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Updated Picture URLs
Appreciate 0