07-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirz1000 View Post
Ok but it also says the 4 banger will have less power than the current 1m. So what you are saying is that there will be an M235 with more power than an M2? no chance. Either there will be both M235 and M2 powered by I6's or there won't me an M2
Scott26 has said on several occasions that the M2 will have a 4-cylinder engine while lower-market 2-series (like the 235i and M235) will come equipped with 6-cylinder engines. Remember that it was the same way with the E30. The 325i came with a 6-cylinder M20 engine whereas the M3 came with a 4-cylinder S14.

As for the power differences between the F22 M2 and the E82 1M, there are perhaps two things to consider. First, the 1M was a limited production car that only existed for one MY during the E82's life cycle, so it might not be considered a direct predecessor to the M2 by the folks at BMW. Or at least, they would use that reasoning as the excuse for why a slight power dip by the M2 might be acceptable. Second, these figures that we're quoting are all just targets and rumors. Even Scott26 himself has said that things may change. So for all we know, the F22 M2 might get an ultra-juiced version of the N20 that will produce equal or greater power than the 1M. Or, as you state, the gap between the M235 and M2 might be too narrow to establish a clear market segment, and BMW might nix one of them (as they recently did with the X1 M35i and the X3M).

Time will tell
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0