View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
Thanks for the helpful info. We might consider the rear wheel drive if it helps. Too bad BMW does that allocation planning; it's disappointing. I imagine people might take their money and just go to another make and not look back.
The entire industry works on this basis, perhaps with the exception of high end custom vehicles. Depending on demand versus plant capacity and sales planning, you will find this at Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. The goal in the plants is to have a stable, repeatable, and robust process. This requires advance forecasting and broadcasting of needed parts to all of the external suppliers who send parts to the plant. If a supplier has tooled for volume X per day of a needed part, a vehicle ordered that needs that part may also be constrained if the ordering reaches X+. Then, each station is carefully timed for the operation. For example, if it takes longer to install a certain option than the same car without that option, the number of orders for that option will be constrained so they can be spaced out over much production to keep the line moving smoothly. That can delay new orders coming in.

If the capacity was open, any manufacturer will be very pleased to build the ordered car, especially if ordered for a retail sale and not wholesale inventory. When constraints exist, there are usually very significant reasons which may not be clear to the buyer. I recall when we had to limit the build of an entire model because the standard wheel was sourced from a supplier who had one of their molds crack and out of operation and Sales would not approve forcing optional wheels. Orders were delayed until the wheel supply could be restored. Right now, orders may be constrained if a particular supplier is at sub-optimal volumes due to COVID. So many things could be going on!

In cases of an order not making progress, as noted before, the solution may involve a bit of detective work by your Sales Advisor with BMWNA in New Jersey or a local field/zone rep to find out the constraint and what they are open to build.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
amutti109.00
Moflow2484.50