View Single Post
      06-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
Hi, Lynn. The The website does not clearly articulate this but the drivers assist plus includes to key things; impact warnings for an impending forward collision that literally stop the car, impact warnings for an impending collision with a pedestrian that literally stop the car. I've known people where if they had this it would have saved lives. I don't think it's a distraction - it's technology, it's gear. it also seems like you are a very conservative driver. It's not a distraction it's a tool. Also I forgot the publication either car and driver or consumer reports or similar, they tested this feature in the two series and it was rated "advanced" in it's ability to react to impending collision or pedestrian. You also mentioned a challenge with sight in the dark and like many people you nor I are the tallest people in the room… I really think it's a good idea. They are offering it for a purpose...
Your advice is good for the type of driver I also perceive Lynn to be. However, these is one more issue to raise. Lynn, bring a tape measure out to the car with you and sit down in your normal driving position. Measure the distance from the surface of the steering wheel hub (the place where the air bag is stored....the surface you press for the horn), and measure from the hub straight back to your sternum (breastbone). Is at at least about 10 inches? Many folks your height sit too close to the steering wheel, and the risk is the air bag inflating up under your chin - very bad possible results (read about basilar skull fracture). The steering column is adjustable, but if your leg length doesn't allow you to move back far enough to achieve about 10" from steering wheel hub to your breastbone, you should consider pedal blocks.

And, no, 18" wheels do not make the car drive better, actually a slight bit worse, because they are heavier. People buy them for looks. Stick with 17".
Appreciate 0