Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Because it presents a significant security risk to your car being broken into. Car thieves regularly use transponder recorders/amplifiers to pick up a keyless entry system's near-field signal (the amplifier function allows them to do this from a distance), then mimic the frequency to get into your car.

Last year, nearly a dozen cars of several makes in my condo building were broken into using such a device -- twice in a six-month period. My 2 Series doesn't have 'Comfort Access' keyless entry; that likely spared me (and a pair of $400 sunglasses in the glove box, among other things). If I can help it, I will never own a car with keyless entry again (I purposefully left it off the option list for the Porsche I now have).
Keyless entry and comfort access are two different things. Keyless entry is the key fob; you open the door by key fob rather than using a physical key. Most cars have been coming with this for quite a while now; I don't believe you can get a BMW without keyless entry (I'm not sure you can get any car without keyless entry). This is what thieves exploit by reading the radio frequency when you use the remote.

Comfort access on the other hand is what allows you to open the doors without pressing a button on the key fob.
Appreciate 0