09-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #49
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy View Post
Here is my setup with the previously linked foam. I did a lot of attempted research on this, found the sensors operate somewhere in the 40+ kHz range, which is useless info since sound dampening items all only list the human hearing range 20Hz - 20kHz.

I bought this foam, worse case I can use it on my PC as it is intended.
Sound Dampening Foam

I originally looked into dynamat and other similar items but realized they are more for low frequency vibrations and rattles.

The foam is adhesive backed, and originally I went overboard and covered the entire back of the plate mount. I have since cut a lot of that extra out, and kudos to US Millworks as I have gone to town scraping the old adhesive off and the finish looks nearly brand new still. Here is how it currently looks, and a lot more of the foam could be removed. If you plan on doing this you only need a 1-2" strip on the bottom left and the top right, where the PDC sensors are.

Here are pictures from the top and front, it looks like it is touching the bumper, but the foam I removed from the middle allows a small gap.

Here is the result of the sensors as it currently sits, the even green indicating the front wall of my garage.

Overall I would say it helps, I went from the sensors setting of 1 in 10 times, to having it go off maybe 3-4 times total in the 3+ months I have the foam on there, and those may have been other objects setting it off. It is not a 100% guarantee, it won't turn your BMW into knight rider. I did test it by placing an upright 2x4 in front of the car and then placing foam around it, and it did reduce the sensor feedback in car.
I have my plate in the same position as yours and used foam strips the ones used between a campershell and the bed of a pickup truck, cut and stacked next to each other covering 2/3 of the back side and no beep so far for the last month. Got the roll at Lowe's (http://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Building...rstrip/1096095) Hope this help for others.
Appreciate 0