View Single Post
      08-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #60
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

Personally, I would take an M235i over an M4 in a heartbeat. As others have mentioned, for that kind of money, there are better options than the M4 out there.
This. I have not heard a single person claim that the 235 is a better car that will out perform the M4. The fact is however, for the price of the M4 I would be looking at several other cars/brands . It is my understanding that the reviewer did not choose the M235 because its cheaper, but because as others have said you can walk away with 25k in your pocket and for 5k in mods would be just about their. Those who say the 25k doesnt matter if you can afford it, would you still choose the M4 if it was compared with cars over 100k and you can make up that difference. Probably not. As much as we like to ignore price points when we are dreaming about potential cars, when it comes to ACTUALLY buying it is one of the most important criteria. I dont think many are cross shopping these two cars due to the huge price difference, but the review asks the question which replaces the old M3. To me it is obviously the 235, the M 4 is more like a 2 door M5, the M 6 is like a 7 coupe, and the M3 is not a coupe, but is more like a mini M5. The niche that used to be occupied by the M3 is now where the 235 and ultimately the M2 will sit.
As far as the review I find it hard to believe that the M4 is difficult to drive at the limit. The 235 with fewer suspension upgrades and an auto box is as solid as can be up to the governor.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0