View Single Post
      08-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #59
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no - when the M2 comes out, it is going to probably be in the mid 50's with few options. And around 375 BHP. Probably not a lot lighter than the M3/4.

That, to me, is a much more "fair" comparison because the major differences will really be styling at that point, assuming that the engine in the M2 gets "some" special ///M treatment and has the M3/4's underpinnings.

One of the things that makes the M235 so good is simply price. But when you're north of 50k and potentially pushing 60 for an M2, many people will weigh the M2 and M3/4 pretty evenly.

Now, if the M division somehow makes a handling monster/maniac and the characters of the M2 and M3/4 are very different, then you have more comparisions from which to draw.

Personally, I alwaysa thought the 2er was much better looking...until I saw the M3 and M4 in person. They're bigger cars for sure, so that matters. But they are very good looking too.
Very good post.

I would like to add, that I just don't wholly agree on the success of the 2-series. There wasn't a leap on engineering, & it gained 200lbs?

Secondly, a lot of //Marketing involved here, but kept at bay, cuz a too powerful 235i, would interfere with their 911. Hence, we all know the 235i comes pre-gimped.

I believe the 235is can be all those things.. (A pure reflection of BMW's past yor), but it wont be done in stock form, it will all be done in aftermarket & add-ins. Becoming a subculture of it's own. The pursuance..

The M's will be more about driving, without having to phuss. They should reflect BMW's clear engineering & have an exact focus, & reason. To some, their hierarchy doesn't matter, it focus does. That is why after some drove the 1M, would've paid the same as a M3 for it.. because it was moAr of what that person wanted.

SMall.. tossible BMW's are rare.. watch Advevo .. tell me that isn't an expression of person. You can wear that car... zero nannies!

I think the M235i is the clear winner here^.. it cost way less & with just $5k in aftermarket, you can tailor to your needs, more-so than in an stock //M-Car.

Coincidently, the M2 will be the clear winner in nearly anything.. because it will focus on handling.. and that lures everyone in!
Appreciate 0