United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Ok so I've had my car for about a week and this is really driving me nuts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get both DTC/DSC fully off. In standard comfort mode, one press of the button above the Sport mode selector will show "Traction" in the display and say DTC activated. A long press on that will show "DSC Off".

My understanding was that this setting should turn everything off, however, that's not been my experience. On 3 different occasions with the settings in this position, the rear of the car has started to slide, yet something stops the slide and the light beside the orange "OFF" indicator between the gauges flashes.

Also, holding the DSC button in Sport or Sport + mode kicks me back into Comfort mode? What is up with that, apparently this is common, but why on earth would I want the Comfort chassis/drivetrain options set if I'm turning everything else off?

If this has been covered before, I apologize. For what it's worth my wife's '13 335 does not seem to behave in this manner. I've autoxed her car a few times with everything off and it allows the car to get pretty sideways. My car is manual, but I wouldn't think that would make it function differently.
Sorry for the necro, but I think I found our answer.

You can turn DSC (and DTC) completely off and it does not put the car into comfort mode. DSC off mode is an entirely different mode in and of itself (Not eco, comfort, sport, or sport +) - DSC is off, the E-diff (or LSD if you have it) system is on, the chassis is in sport, but the throttle is in comfort. However, there is a very good reason for this. If anyone is familiar with throttle steering, you wouldn't necessarily want a super responsive throttle, as you have to feather the throttle to stay on your racing line and hit your apex, etc.

I think this is why when you try selecting a mode per the normal switch, it looks like the car is still in comfort - it's not really in any of those modes.

Of course, I suppose it would be nice to pick which type of throttle response we would like in DSC off mode, but I can understand BMW's choice of "comfort" throttle in DSC off mode. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited by Liquidpaper; 06-29-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0