bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73WhiteBoy View Post
I'll consider another dealer if I don't get confirmation soon. I've worked with this dealer for my last 3 vehicle, and I'm working through a friend that works for another brand at this dealership (i.e. he's not a BMW CA), so I'm inclined to stay with them...but I won't wait forever.
Dealers get a fixed number of "allocations" for each type of car, per month. So for example, your dealer might get three M235i allocations each month. With these allocations they either:

1) Assign them to a customer for a custom order.

2) Option the cars out based on what they feel they can sell, and put the car in to inventory.

The thing is, the dealer knows exactly how many cars they'll get, and exactly how many orders they have. So what I would do is ask the dealer straight up:

How many orders are in front of me?

Tell them you need to know so you can manage your car situation. Given that you're in a major market, there may be quite a waiting list.

Also, because the number of allocations is a known number, they can very easily tell you when your actual order is going to be placed. If they get 3 per month, and there are four orders ahead of you, you're 1 cycle away from a production number. If there are 6 ahead of you, you're 2 cycles. All of this assumes a 3 car allocation, which might be different, but they know the number either way. If they don't want to tell you, then you should assume the worst and go elsewhere.

The #1 thing to keep in mind is that if the dealer thinks they can take advantage of you, they will. That's what they have to do to stay in business. Don't take it personally, but keep it in mind.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0