View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I didn't really read any negatives about the steering. How are you guys deducing that?
All in all, I wouldn't say it's negative. But the back and forth of pros and cons gave me a conflicted impression. It's phrased in terms of tradeoffs. As if, despite its strengths, the car leaves something important to be desired.

Quote:
Despite its considerable heft of slightly over 3500 lbs, the M235i feels powerful and agile well into triple-digit velocities. Steering turn-in is precise, and we are slowly if reluctantly getting used to BMW's constantly refined electric power steering. "Variable sport steering" is standard on this top-of-the-line model. The 2-series will probably feel even more agile with the four-cylinder turbo, but we'll gladly trade the final edge in handling for the M235i's extra dollop of power and sound. It is easy to induce and control oversteer even with the standard-configuration M235i; BMW will soon offer an optional limited-slip differential, which we predict will become a very popular option. At very high speeds on uneven surfaces, we found the chassis to be too soft with a bit too much travel; modifications are in order for track use. The brakes are more than sufficient for everyday driving, but they would likewise benefit from an upgrade for very hard street or track use.
Appreciate 0