View Single Post
      06-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

2 series initial impressions

In response to my initial post, my Hyundai is a second car. I have driven more and forgotten more BMW's and Mercedes in the the last 20 years than most of the members here will ever remember!

Having said that, I indeed was initially expecting more from these cars than the press led me to believe. Being overly sensitive to the cars steering capabilities, the m235i in sport mode, while being quite good, still has not reached the pinnacle of accuracy of say, a 3 series coupe with hydraulic steering. My salesperson who drove with me agreed also. He used to own an M135i and still he thought its steering characteristics were a bit more impressive than the M235 we drove .

For the fanatics here, this does not disgrace the 2 series as judged by the reactions of my post . Indeed, EPS is the wave of the future; how discerning a car company can get it to perform is a marketing/ engineering decision. I am hoping to run these cars again to ascertain if my first impressions were as accurate as I thought. As I inched my way down towards a braking stop, the on center wheel did indeed give me an inch or so of center play, left and right. Overall, however, there is little to criticize as to the cars steering and handling; particularly to the SOMEWHAT less discerning drivers.
Appreciate 0