View Single Post
      02-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Kunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Should I be concerned about this? (CPO M240i xDrive)

Good morning 2addicts,

I am in the market for a used/CPO 2017-2018 M240i xDrive. One popped up on my radar yesterday that was a CPO with a clean CarFax along with quite an extensive maintenance record. The maintenance was all done at the same dealership where it was leased at and who is selling it now. I was ecstatic to see this because I likely would be able to see anything ever done to the car.

I show up to take a look at the car and I ask about the possibility of getting the maintenance records for during the first owners lease and the sales person walks away to ask somebody else about it. Another sales person comes over and informs me that the car in particular was a lease of a manager that was part of the dealership (different department) and that he had it serviced all the time since he worked at the place (tire fills/washes/etc). They also up front told me that the original engine had seized at 26,000 miles (car currently has 30,500) and that the engine was replaced under BMW warranty. I asked about the failure and he said it was some sort of internal seize so they only had to replace the short block.

The car itself is extremely clean. I am quite a stickler for cleanliness on the interior and I was shocked to see the condition of the interior for a car with 30,500 miles. There were spots that were clean that typically dealership detailers miss so I figured the guy that leased it took good care of it. Exterior looked great as well aside from a few rock chips.

Part of me thinks "Hey I can get a M240 for a good price with essentially a new engine and it's still got a CPO warranty until 12/21". The other part of me wonders "Did the failure potentially cause more damage or was the car heavily abused?" The fact that the dealership told me about the engine upfront without me having to pry about it did make it seem that it wasn't that big of a deal.

I would like to get some of your insights. This would be the "nicest" car I've ever owned so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and my mindset correct.

I do believe I'm over thinking it because there are always some engines that simply fail. Not all engines are perfect. Thank you!
Appreciate 0