View Single Post
      04-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
jms644
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

This really doesn't provide much that isn't available as of now. The car pictured here that is being passed off as a 228i with Track Handling Package is actually just a sport line 228i with Dynamic Handling Package, PSS tires, and M Sport Brakes. The only options this track package adds that aren't currently available are the PSS tires and the ability to have the M Sport Brakes without having to spec the M Sport Package. I'm not sure why they're claiming "unique 18-inch light alloy wheels", they're the exact same wheels that are available now on the sport line model (hence what you see pictured). If you're skeptical then go build a 228i on BMW's website, spec it with sportline, and compare the wheels to what you see pictured here.

So let's work out projected costs for this track handling package: it includes adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport Brakes, and PSS tires. Currently both the adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering are available through the Dynamic Handling Package ($1000), the M Sport Brakes are $650, and then that leaves the PSS tires. I like to state facts and not make speculations based on nothing but intuition so I won't speculate as to what I believe this Track Handling Package will cost. But I'm sure it will be quite a bit more than the $1650 total cost (for the Dynamic Handling Package and M Sport Brakes) + what the average enthusiast values the PSS tires at. Putting it together in a package just helps to mask the individual costs/values of each item individually. BMW marketing at its finest.

As per the confusion for the "mechanical steering rack", this isn't some entirely new rack and it is not a hydraulic rack. It's the same electric power steering setup that is currently available on the 228i through the dynamic handling package and the one that's standard on the M235i. In the most non-technical explanation possible, the mechanical steering rack just refers to the gears that mesh together and allow you to turn the front wheels by turning the steering wheel. Every steering setup on every car has a mechanical steering rack. The power assist is what varies car to car, and the only type of power-assist that is available on any 2-series is electric power assist. The only reason there is mention of the mechanical steering rack is so that they can add in the bit about the variable ratio of the gears themselves which help to make this "variable sport ratio" BMW speaks of. The ironic part is that most track enthusiasts actually prefer a direct ratio since it is more predictable and doesn't vary with the number of degrees off center the wheel has been turned. Hope this helps clarify any confusion or ambiguity, which is something I strongly believe BMW utilizes to it's own advantage when determining pricing for these packages.