bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta D View Post
if its only four cylinders then it might be a four cylinder 2.5 liter... then they might have my attention and interest i think the an S20 would not work for me... definitely its only 300 hp, need more... more hp... more more
I wouldn't count on it being a 2.5L I4. In order to stay in business, BMW has to adapt to the current engineering and economic environment. All their competitors use modular engine design in order to reduce costs. In order to compete, BMW must use the same. This is the reason the S55 is less bespoke than the S65/S85.

Both the N20 and the N55/S55 use a 500cc per-cylinder modular engine design. More importantly, they both share an 84mm bore. Someone more technical would have to chime in to let us know if they can go larger on the bore than that without materials issues. I wouldn't think they'd increase the stroke too much in order to avoid the need for changes to piston/rod/crank designs.

This is all conjecture, of course, but in terms of likelihood, we can look to the current trends to infer the future outcome.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0