View Single Post
      04-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #57
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Yes, exactly! What is it with all these M235i tests in high altitudes (same with that Willow Springs time). I have datalogged extensively with the BT tool and by the M3's own internal dyno calculations (actual moment in nm of tq), 800 ft vs sea level elevation logging has at least a -10 hp impact at redline, and its very consistent. Try this test where I live and you will likely see a different result (though the M235i is an impressive vehicle!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Not just high altitude, they're in Boulder. That's 5,430 ft of elevation, at a minimum. In all their videos, they appear to be outside of town, which usually means an increase in elevation when you're in the Denver/Boulder area. HP loss at these altitudes is horrible. Fortunately, we can do the math:

loss = (415 HP x 5,430 ft x 0.03)/1,000

By that equation (which I found online), you're looking at around 68 HP loss for the IS-F, knocking it down to the 345 HP range, instead of the sea level 416 HP. Edmunds lists the curb weight for the IS-F at over 3700 lbs. The M235i is about 200 lbs lighter, and has a turbocharger, which all but negates the loss due to altitude. Not to mention, the M235i is only a couple of tenths behind even at sea level because the turbocharged engine has a fatter power curve in the lower RPM range.

Add all this up and the IS-F never stood a chance at that altitude.
Appreciate 0