View Single Post
      09-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #170
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Having just spent 2 days at BMWs M Fascination Nordschleife in an M2 (along with some more time at M school earlier this year), I'll provide a little color. I'll also admit that this article was a key reason I ordered a 230i over an M240i last year. I haven't driven a M240i, but I've had a 135i and 335i, so I have an idea of what that car likely feels like.

IMHO, the M2 is not in the same category as the other two. Sure the M240i is close in performance on paper, but the M2 is just an amazing little beast. I can't begin to tell you all how hard it is for me not to run down to the dealer and order one after the Nurburgring school last week. It's so tight and so agile. it's everything you'd expect and more!

That being said, the reason the reviewers loved the 228i, and the reason I ordered the 230i, really comes down to usability. The fact is, you really can't use an M2 (or even an M240i) anywhere near their capabilities on public roads. They're also (though not egregiously) heavier and aren't as toss-able as the 228i/230i. For all but the most empty of mountain roads, they're just too much. Additionally, they're a little colder in their abilities. Everything is just matter of fact, yes boss. With the 228i/230i you have to work a little harder with the power you've got and there's a little bit more involvement to get it to do what you want. You're not fighting with it, but you are playing with it. Outside of a racetrack, where playing becomes fighting, this is a very fun game.

Finally, (a biased sidebar) in a very odd situation, only the 228i/230i can be optioned with it's respective highest level of performance options and the greatest number of colors. Does anyone else find it odd that the cheapest model has the most color options?
Appreciate 0