04-18-2024, 03:12 PM   #7887
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I don't want to date myself but when I was in college the first Ti hand calculators hit the market and they were over $400.00 and every well funded engineering student had one. I was not well funded so it was a slide rule for me. It was not long till there were $25.00 hand calculators that would kick the $400.00 versions to the curb. Early EV owners have experienced some serious depreciation and that is always the price of being on the cutting edge of technology. I think this is why they created the lease.
No doubt, but an EV is not a calculator. The technology cost curve is not the same across the board for electronic hardware. Battery cost is the EV's Achilles heel. The cost curve for lithium ion batteries has mostly flattened to around $140 per kWh , down from around $700 IIRC about 15 years ago. A better density battery that can charge faster is going to cost more for a long time ahead and may not plateau below where lithium-ion is now. And EV's are too expensive for most of the 1st-tier market to get into; add to that the $2,000 home infrastructure cost to charge them.

Most EV makers are losing thousands on a per unit basis right now with "low cost" liquid lithium-ion batteries and most EV get 250 miles of range on a 75kWh battery and take 40 minutes to charge to just 80%.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-18-2024 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0