View Single Post
      02-24-2024, 05:07 AM   #43
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
This is a subject that goes on and on mainly in car forums. Whenever I try to explain the difference to regular people they have no clue and don't care. I didn't mean to start anything, but should have known better, LOL.
Absolutely...it's 100% meaningless to the vast majority of people. Even to other marque enthusiasts, if one tries to explain to them the difference between say the M performance cars (guess that's what they're called, heck we just bought one recently) such as an M340i with an M3, M3 Competition, M3 CS, their eyes glaze over. It's easier to simply say increased power, handling, cost. Out of all that, the M2C is the only BMW that received a complete engine and cooling system change (in addition to brake calipers and rotors, seats, etc) when it acquired the "Competition" moniker... so after explaining all the changes between the original M2 and the M2C, everyone is then forever tainted on the meaning of other "Competition" versions of M cars...then they try to back level that knowledge to earlier M cars and believe something like the "Competition package" on the E9x M3 is something major (as opposed to just different wheels, different damper tuning, 10mm lower springs, revised MDM coding).

It's almost as bad as trying to explain the evolution of Michelin's highest performance summer tire via the names they were given through the decades (and in the meantime Bridgestone has used RE-71 since the mid 1980s). The upcoming PS4S replacement is called the PS S 5, so naturally it will be referred to as the "PSS5" and who wouldn't think the "SS" meant Super Sport like the predecessor to the PS4S - the Pilot Super Sport or PSS? When in fact it means Pilot Sport Super 5. Sigh...
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
philth259.00
qnet684.50