View Single Post
      03-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #92
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
One wet track trick I learned recently from the spec miata crowd: just disconnect the sway bars. It's literally just two bolts, so could even do it very very last-minute before grid if conditions are changing. Especially with how stiff I run my miata-like car, it made all the difference between pretty much undrivable to actually turning wet laps.
Nice! That is good to know! My current setup probably wouldn't respond too well to removing the sways as I'm running stock spring rates with Koni sports. I'm trying to push the body roll as far as humanly comfortable for the first few sessions. Putting some Ground Control sleeves and 400/275# springs on mid-summer. Then beefier sways, stickier tires, etc. Evolving the car with my driving capacity. The 400# fronts can then be moved to the rear later on and I'm planning to revalve the front Koni's to handle around 600# for a moderate SMS TT build because I am cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I used to buy lightly-used race tires from this outfit (they handle DOT R-compound tires, too): https://usedracingtires.com/collections/in-stock. The tires I got generally appeared to have only one or two heat cycles on them. I found them to be a good value.
This is a great resource! I will definitely look into them after a few more sessions on the RT660's. I got the Miata to save some $$ after all, so this is the kind of thing I'm after. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I find the Nankang AR-1s quite a bit better than any of the Extreme Performance category of tyres... The other thing I found with the AR-1s is that they have much more predictable braking near the lock-up point on my non-ABS Caterham compared with the Hoosier slicks and RE-71Rs, giving a lot more confidence in high speed braking at the end of straights.
The AR-1 is very popular on the Nurburgring for TF and I have been considering these. Great to know about the predictability near the lock-up point for us non-ABS drivers. I have heard the RS4 and others have the advantage of being able to run in the rain vs the AR-1's. Do you find that to be the case as well? maybe I should find a dedicated set for rain duty like SM Wet Hoosier..