03-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #71
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
From someone who has been in the market and just last week put a deposit down on an M2C, I respectfully disagree. This may not matter to regular Joes who are not BMW fanatics, but these are the type of details that I and many others look for before paying top dollar for a car.

Picking between a used (2019/2020) M2C and a new one is like splitting hairs. The prices are only $2K apart between new and used - which essentially just shows how much resale value was lost.

The regular M2 on the other hand I was able to find in the mid 30s with less than 15k miles. That's a SUBSTANTIAL difference in resale value.

If you go on autotrader, try finding an M2C under $50k nationally. Not only are there less than 40 for sale total, but they all hold their value much better and none are below $50k with a clean title.

Then try the same with the OG M2. Of course there is a difference in the M2C being 1-2 years newer, but that doesn't justify a $15k resale value loss compared to the M2C.

It would have been much easier for me to get a mint M2, save 30% and call it a day. 5-10 years from now the discussion will be "Do you have an N55 or do you have an S55" when trying to sell one.

I don't know how long you've been a BMW fanatic, but this reminds me of the S52 vs S54 MCoupe discussion from 20 years ago. Even though the S52 sounded better, the S54 retained the value much better. Plus, nothing an M-Performance exhaust can't fix
We will check up on you 2-3 years from now and see what your brand new m2c is worth. You simply cant predict how much depreciation will hit these cars. Theres too many factors to consider. For example in my area, i bought my 2017 OG for 44k canadian 2 years ago.Dealers are selling 2016-2017 OGs in my area for 48-49k. 2018s are going for over 50k. Noone predicted that dealers are still selling these cars at that price when all depreciation calculations were 10-15% loss every year. No offense but Youre probably just trying to justify why you spent what you spent on a brand new bmw thinking you could predict the future value of it. You have to remmeber that the new m2 is looming with the superior s58. Then it will be the s55 vs s58 debate next and youre gonna find yourself in the position of n55 owners.

My advice to the OP, dont listen to all this dick waving about n55 vs s55. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0