View Single Post
      01-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2021 View Post
Hi, turns out that you were right! Coolant hose had broken off. I got two left hands so called BMW roadside and they towed it to the dealer (free of charge although outside of 4 year warranty). Unfortunately, this is where the good news end.
My local BMW (San Francisco) checked the car and said that the coolant needs to replaced, and that the water pump and thermostat also took a hit.

Total repair cost are $900 + $820 + $2800, so $4520 total. This seems very expensive?! Is that normal or just due to inflationary prices in the Bay Area? Would you generally recommend having it fixed at BMW or fine to have it done at a local garage.

Thank you!
Did you get temperature warnings on your instrument panel ? And if so how far did you drive with such warnings and did the car ever hesitate or knock ?

I'm not understanding the $4200 total. Coolant drain and flush I would guess at about $300 at dealer. Not sure how much thermostat and water pump are. I know if I had a leaking water pump leaving coolant in the belly pan or on the ground I would have my BMW dealer do that and change the thermostat as a precaution. My dealer gives me a loaner plus I trust their work, pretty-much for my location.

You could have the hose and coolant done, deny water pump and thermostats and see what happens. If your getting coolant or high temperature readings immediately after leaving dealership then I guess have the work done.

How many miles are on your car ? If your above 75,000 maybe just have the work done. If your a BMW club member and can use there 10% discount, or if you know of a very good and clean BMW independent shop you could have the work and second diagnostic done there and just have BMW replace hose and coolant.

I drove about 20 or 30 miles with a blown coolant hose in my 235. I stopped and got about six gallons of distilled water and filled up radiator every four miles and then next day installed and new hose and added BMW anti-freeze at a bit higher ratio and some distilled water and my car has been perfect for the month since it happened.
Appreciate 0