View Single Post
      10-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Scheduled maintenance is expensive, but much more so at the dealership - I generally consider those service plans to be a waste, more of an incentive to try to keep you using the dealership for service longer. If you don't care who does it, then find the local quality shop and talk to them about what they would charge (my local indie will do pre-track brake pad swap and flush for about $400, but not all will accept you bringing your own parts). And really look into what the factory recommends: I think they recc a brake fluid flush every 2 years, and perhaps there is other stuff that would tilt things in favor of the service agreement; Most indies don't give you a loaner either, so there are secondary factors that may come into play.

And FWIW, my dealer was quite happy to replace pads and just resurface my rear rotors when they were paying for it under the service plan (pointing out to me that they left a meaty .001 above the factory limits for replacement when I questioned this). They did admit that they would not offer that service to a routine customer, and were only doing it because they knew they would replace the rotors any time they did eventually wear. They had already replaced a set of brakes that I'd obviously beaten to death on track, so overall I still consider them a very user-friendly place.
Appreciate 0