07-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #30
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbay View Post
One of the other reasons I avoided the Mustang, is because for some reason every crash I see here in Maryland these days involves a Mustang. There seems to be a high number of them losing the back-end and ending up off the road.

A coincidence? Ummm, probably not. There seems to be something up with the overall stability of those cars relative to the HP output. I can't say for sure why so many accidents seem to involve Mustangs other than young guys love them, but there seems to be more issues now than I remember when I had my Mustang Cobra in the 90s. I don't remember people spinning off the road like they do today. I presume it's because there's close to 180+ more HP in the new cars than my old 305 HP 96 Cobra. Now adays they are putting out close to 460-500 HP in stock GT form.
A former 2018 Mustang owner and a super duper smart car nerd friend of mine explained the reasoning for this to me about a year ago.

The current generation mustang has almost no caster angle to the front suspension. One of the things caster provides, is a centering force on the steering wheel particularly during oversteer. For those who are not into drifting or who don't have a ton of experience with oversteer, this means that when the car starts to slide, you can almost 'throw' the steering wheel in the opposite direction and the wheel will 'feel' the correct countersteer angle that's needed (see video, 1:05 or so.)

The Mustang does not do this. The correct countersteer angle must be found manually by the driver, which is obviously harder to do and will generally result in less smoothness, along with a more abrupt transition when gripping up from a slide. Gripping up suddenly at the wrong time is what leads to tank slappers/overcorrecting, which is likely how most of those mustangs are getting crashed.

Appreciate 1