BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwilly View Post
Got this message too. I simply turned the car off and turned it back on and haven't had any warning since haha
Yeah that didn't work.
]
I very much appreciate the input.

I also prefer to keep cars under warranty, but I am tired of leasing (and the 2 series doesn't lease well). It's not great financial practice to buy new and then sell in ~4-5 years. Buying a lightly used car that's current MY, that eats that initial depreciation, theoretically would seem to make that a more rational approach.

Something about this car's being a repo has made me uneasy. Also, the car has 3 door dings (2 on one side, 1 on the other) that I'm told will be like they were never there when the shop is done. I believe that is true, but again, it makes me wonder about the car's, um, living conditions (or repo conditions). 3 door dings in 5 months? And then there was this error.

On the other hand, it only has 6k miles, and it's under warranty...

But to your point, the savings would have to be significant. Their current price appears reasonable (MSRP $55k, listed at ~$44,700), but that is definitely not good enough all things considered. In particular, the 0.9% financing isn't available on used/CPO 2020s, which means something like $1500 more in interest.

IF the rebates ($3750) & APR (0.9%) currently offered on 2020s are extended to 2021s (big if??), I could theoretically custom order a 2021 for like $1500 more. That is assuming what I think is a modest 5% dealer discount on the order. I could possibly do even better if I just wait for a 2021 inventory car.

But if they would come down to $40k...??? I don't know that they'll move that far, but considering that they apparently bought it at auction I have to imagine that they have plenty of room. However, there are so few in the country right now that I doubt they'll feel the need to come down much.

I have told the salesperson I'd like to see a report from the shop diagnosing the drivetrain error... We'll see what comes of that.
I absolutely understand the attraction. I just think that if a car, at such a young age, is throwing such a serious error, what else could be wrong? I would never feel confident with the car. Yet! It is so near 40k! And it has all the options you want!! I am sure you will make the best decision...

Knock them down to 40k; I am sure they will. I think you will even yield at ~41k given the market you have experienced. I have a feeling you will only get one knockdown from them, so make it count: if I were you I would just present my offer and see what they say. If you ask them to throw out a number they will simply say "44k round take it or leave it". I can't tell you why I think that hah. Just make an offer and see what they do.

I still say that if I can pick up a brand new one for 33% off MSRP, so can you (sorry, not sorry for bragging!). I did that with my previous two cars as well. I start aiming for one model year behind the one that is just starting to show up on lots. It is just the timing right now.

One thing is for sure, both my wife and I are rooting for you!
Appreciate 0