05-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #244
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I have been considering Hakkis; are yours 8 or 9? MN winters and studded tires with AWD would be a joy!!

Any reason you picked one over the other?

EDIT: I had the WS90s this past winter. TANK!
Mine are Hakki 9's. IIRC, the 8 vs 9 was a 'newer model' replacement, only 9's available in our size I think (225/40-18). The real alternative choice was a studless version with about the same tread (and probably same compound?). If you can live with the sound, they are FANTASTIC - daub a little flat black primer on the stud buttons and nobody in MN will notice. I actually wished I was back in MN because we didn't really get a harsh winter and I spent more time on wet pavement than ice, but they do well on that too (plus the confidence of not worrying if it is ice underneath the wet). First weekend i had them we got an ice storm and I passed 4 cars backwards into the guardrail, one a state trooper car. I've taken them up to about 95, and in fairly tight offramp/merge ramps up to about 80; they squirm and drift more than the summers, but didn't cut loose and no lost studs. Personally I kind of liked the noise - it is akin to any other high-performance tradeoff so to me it was a bonus, like a sport exhaust in a way (but it has that cyclical spool up that I associate with a rear diff about to lunch itself, so it took a little acclimation). Didn't noticeably chew up my driveway either.

and on an unrelated note, this crack was just mean,

" I am not even talking about more money than sense here (though one can make that argument), but it does relate to a taste issue that you mentioned. "

and my tastless little 228 will be glad to show off its superiority to any miata (I cross shopped both a c and d-version - great purpose built sports cars, but I wanted a GT).
Appreciate 0