04-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i Alpine White

Angry Drivetrain Malfunction "cyl 3 misfire"

Hello all,

I have a bit of a situation. I saw your comment on another thread saying to message you with any further questions regarding another member's issues with "drivetrain malfunction" code repeatedly coming up on his iDrive system. I have had the same, or worse issue with my car and i cant seem to find a solution. I have a 2015 M235i and around 38,000 miles i had my first instance of misfiring, rough idle, and "drivetrain malfunction" code appearing on my system at a random time. I was driving conservatively maybe doing 40-50mph and after coming to a stop at a light this happened. I checked the coil packs and switched them with another friend's whose car was running fine, and the issue still persisted. I then pulled spark plug from cylinder 3 (as there was a cylinder 3 misfire code) and noticed it was fouled with fuel. I replaced the fuel injector and spark plug in cylinder 3 and the problem went away for about 80-100 miles. Again the misfire came back and i tried two different independent mechanics to have them clear the issue with their "factory computer" and the problem persisted. This was touch and go with clearing the code, driving a few hundred miles and then the issues coming back. Eventually i went to Crevier BMW and they kept my car for 4 days and all they could tell me was to "replace the spark plugs and fuel injector with factory bmw branded parts and see if the problem persists". They also cleared the code using their computer. I drove the car without issue after picking it up from the dealer for another 1000 miles and the misfire returned again this weekend. The car currently has about 41,000 miles. I am really puzzled by all of this and need guidance. If you or anyone you know can shed some light on the situation that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
whiteegyptian95
Appreciate 0