View Single Post
      03-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
wt888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none

The N54 engines before this N55 engine generation were well known for being unreliable in multiple areas. The N55 fixed most of the issues but I plan on doing the water pump before 100k miles. It's a BMW thing.

I also considered getting a BMW M3 before I picked up a M235i. The M3 had more customization and better options, but I want a compact car and it felt like a boat compared to the M235i, despite being only a little heavier. They use a S55 engine which is based off the N55 engine we have. There are a few M3/M4 which have spun their crankshaft sprocket because the bolt holding it down loosens, which messes with the timing chain, which is bad news. It appears modified cars, cars that were money shifted, or the DCT autos are more susceptible, but stock cars have had it happen too, even with newer end of production cars.

I haven't heard of this happening to any M235i, even modified ones. Maybe it's the lower stock power, but this is pure speculation. The newer M240i uses the B58 engine which moved the timing gear and chain to the rear of the engine, which probably fixed this issue. This is the same basic engine that's being used in the Supra but the cars are too new to know long term problems, but I suspect they did this to stop the spun crank hub gears.
Appreciate 0