View Single Post
      04-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
Mine was 1,347kg’s when we weighted it with full tank but nothing else inside which roughly converts to 2,970 pounds
Sounds VERY intriguing, do you mind sharing some of the details on how you got there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Curious on this. I'm actively modding to reduce weight, problem is I didn't get to build this car so I'm stuck with the sunroof weight, full power options etc, so there's probably about 100-200lbs I'll never be able to shed off.
I'd take this particular train of thought with a grain of salt. If you wanted a fully stripped out car that was aching for the track, you'd've got a Miata or an Ariel Atom. Its nice to have a trackable car, but its also nice to have some basic conveniences.

Quote:
Rotating mass is sometimes more noticeable, performance wise, than overall weight. Things like lightweight wheels/brakes can save a ton of weight in regard to rotating mass, in turn making the car more agile and nimble. But I think a big opportunity off the hop would be the ditching the OEM battery for a lightweight Braille or similar battery, and switching to the "track edition" manual seats, if you can get your hands on them, reasonably cheap. If you have coilovers, you've saved some weight as well, and you can then corner balance the car, to avoid interrupting the close-to 50/50 balance these cars have from the factory, especially if take 40lbs out of the ass end. Last thing you want to do is upset the balance, just to save a few lbs. Best to try and shave weight from front to back..
I agree. If someone was to start doing mods on their car, the first mods I'd recommend would be wheels, tires and suspension. Lightweight rotors and hats are also an option, but as you said, this should only be done on the front, if you decide to remove a heavy lead acid battery from the back end for a more lightweight unit.

Quote:
Bad news is every time you try to take weight off, and add more capable components, you sometimes end up at sq.1, again, lol. ex: I am installing lighter suspension components, wheels and brakes, but have previously installed a massive FMIC that weighs a lot more than the OE unit, and IC charge piping made of aluminum instead of plastic also adding weight (incremental but everything adds up), WMI system also adds weight. So basically you don't always get to drop weight down, unless you otherwise keep the car close to stock, and only focus on weight savings, etc.. If I can have 100lbs saved at the end of the day, I'd be a very happy camper, but I'm not expecting it, at all..
Some other items to offset your FMIC might be things like a lightweight alternator or carbon fiber hood. But if you're tracking the car, that intercooler is a must to save your motor.

If you're aiming for the 100 pound mark, a set of good aftermarket race seats, plus a 'rear seat/seatbelt' delete, all by themselves, should nab you close to 100 lbs right there.. the trick is that weight distribution thing.

Last edited by Quicksilver_M235; 04-19-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0