alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
S55 will certainly be faster but not without its drawbacks:
- increased weight (maybe 100lbs if I had to guess conservatively)
- increased spool lag with only 3 cylinders driving each turbo
- not so nice engine sound

I certainly understand the allure and fascination with ever higher HP - it’s how we are conditioned to think since age 4. It is only natural to want to experience X car with even more HP. I have gone through that phase with a 600whp SC’ed C7. I don’t regret supercharging it and am glad that I experienced it. I also think I made a right decision to remove the SC after 1.5 year to enjoy the car in a balanced state.

Since I am content with 400whp and 440wtq (on good gas) with simple bolt-ons and a tune in an FR car, the higher power potential of the S55 has little added value to me.
RedCarrot completed got the point that I wish to say. Hands down that the new motor will produce more spool lag and the sound... as previous F80 owner... Dont think they can do much to improve the sound. N55 definitely has its great sound added and makes me smile revving it all the way up to 7k. Figures of WHP and TQ could be easily gain with at my own taste spending less than what you pay additional for getting CP. Retaining the weight balance.

I am currently waiting for G80. I took it to my wife with long 10 min presentation to convience her why I need a small compact sports car moving from F80. And the condition that I made was to get a 4 door sedan after F87 to compensate my kids getting bigger and possibly additional one(s) in our family plan. My wife drives SUV but she still say that I need 4 doors just in case family needs to use mine.. And I will need to teach my wife how to drive MT if I wanna get another manual transmission for the next car in case she needs to drive mine at emergency lol.
Appreciate 0