View Single Post
      11-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Just wanted to vent somewhere.... I took a long journey, a detour if you will.

About a year ago I traded in my beloved 228i for a P-car. Originally I was going to just upgrade it to an M4, but due to peer pressure I went all the way to Porsche. It's a head-turner, everywhere I go I'm treated like a celebrity.
The only downside is that I get zero love from Porsche, the brand. Nothing like the way BMW treats me. Call it brand loyalty if you will. I just feel warm around a BMW, and feel cold around a Porsche. (It must be the $400 oil change...lol)

Still haven't decided which way my Porsche journey is going to go, keeping it for now.
But, I also have an older E46 that I am ready to give up and trade for something new. This would be more for a DD role, comfort and ease of access is paramount. Here are the options I am considering, it would be interesting to hear what the community thinks.

1) Honda Civic hatchback sport. I love the looks of this car, and it feels so comfortable inside. A no-nonsense car, and at around 23k it's the cheapest to buy and the cheapest to maintain. The only downside is you can't really build it exactly the way you want it. Their trim/packaging options force you to make compromises.
2) Dodge Challenger RT. Because I always wanted one. Tons of power, heavy ride; heavy in a good way. Substantial. They smell nice. I love how decidedly underengineered these cars are. Easy to maintain, easy to work on, no complex electronics and gizmos that would cost a ton to fix. At around 40k it's priced in the middle of the pack.
3) M240i. I test drove one last week and I think I had forgotten just how good the F22 is. It was so good. In terms of power it was a night and day difference to my 228i. Everything was perfect - the seating position, the feel of the steering wheel, etc. I've driven an M2 before and I would say the 240 has about the same amount of power. Maybe suppressed by the traditional AT a little bit, but really really close. I love the looks of the M2, but I think the adaptive M suspension makes the M240i a more friendly DD. But at around 50k it's also the most expensive on the list, and could be a little redundant next to a 911.
Well, that's where my heads's at, not sure I'm making any sense
A little hindsight, but I think if you had bought a 718s, you wouldn't be facing this problem. They are that good.

The M240 probably feels so comfortable to you because a) you are used to an E46 (the 2 is a natural successor to this platform) and b) you already had a 2.

If you're keeping the 911, I'd also go with something more practical and probably with AWD for winter applications (or RWD with snows.) A 440GC or similar would be great. Or a gently used X1 or X3. Better yet a 3 wagon.

I totally understand the drive to get a 911, given that they are legendary. But the Boxster/Cayman really is the perfect sports car (if you don't need the vestigial rear seats.)
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0