View Single Post
      06-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
ExZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i MSport

Headrest backwards

Been driving my new (second hand) 228i for about a week and a half now... It was a bit of an adjustment from my beloved '05 ZHP, with some things being better, some definitely worse, but that is a separate topic. One of the things I wanted to play with was the headrest which is not tiltable like in the old ZHP. While trying to adjust it, I put it on backwards, just to see how it would feel. Stupid, I admit, but nevertheless. All of a sudden, the headrest was stuck. Could not be moved up, down or taken out.

As the car is still under warranty, I didn't want to mess with it myself too hard, so I took it to the local BMW service. After a whole day in the service, I got the call that the they wanted to keep the car for another day (that would be 2 days total), strip the seat off the covers in order to take the headrest out and reupholster it again. Even though they told me they would cover it under warranty as I had bought the car from them, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and decided to pick up the car to see what else I could do. The next day, I dropped by the local car upholstery shop in SF and asked the guys there if they could help me out. Sure enough, the guy comes out with the screwdriver, pops up the little plastic circle under one of the prongs of the stuck headrest and voila - it was out in less than a minute. The guy didn't even charge me.

The question is, are the guys at BMW plain dumb, incompetent, or did they simply try to take BMW corporate to the cleaners?

Appreciate 0